Saturday 5 March 2011

Givenchy Spring 2011 Haute Couture- So Inspiring!






I absolutely adore Givenchy's new collection, to me it conjures images of ethereal godesses from another universe. The way the slices of white fabric appear to be suspended in mid-air is incredible. The soft colour pallette works so well with the sharp lines and the three dimensional elements add the most beautiful textures I've ever seen on a garment. The above dress is my favourite, and the back of the dress is just as dramatic:


The strong architectural panels are further emphasised by a shock of fluorescent lime green. Although I'm not a big fan of fluorescent colour on clothing, I think it works in this instance because the dress is so fashion forward and futuristic. The collection was, after all inspired partly by Japanese toys, and from the back I can really imagine it transforming.

I intend to use this collection as inspiration for my final piece, which will be an Art Nouveau style garment. I think stylised natural forms and sinous outlines of flowers and leaves would look beautiful on a garment like this. I hope to create the same effect as Givenchy did in their collection by experimenting with a few techniques. I intend to look at:
  • Devoré
  • Batik
  • Embroidery on sheer fabrics
  • Trapping fabric between layers of sheer fabric
  • Attaching 3D shapes (e.g. flowers) to sheer fabrics

No comments:

Post a Comment